01 June 2008

London United and pitbulls

London United in Finsbury Park on Sunday, 13th July 2008 is the annual free festival that aims to celebrate and embrace the rich diversity that is London through live music and other performances.

I attended London United in 2006 and it was well “interesting”. The music was great; however the second hand smoke was a bit daunting. And well I just did not know there were so many pitbulls in London. For some reason beyond my comprehension many of the young men in attendance seemed to think it was necessary to bring along their canine friend and the canine of choice seemed to be a pitbull. And speaking of young men the gender/age mix leaned heavy on the testosterone pumping crowd under 25 years of age……………………………..so um I will probably attend London United, but as I did in 2006 I will limit my visit to less than an hour.

Oh yes the police presence in 2006 was heavy, heavy, heavy…………………………………And if you do decide to attend let the cops be your guide. And when I saw the local men/women in blue get “nervous” I left. Still, London United gives you a less than glamorous – yet still valid view of London. And watching performance from every ethnic group in London is awe inspiring. All I say is watch the cops and when they start huddling together and calling for back-up – leave.
And yes I still love London even while attending a “thugged” out music festival.

For more information on London United follow the weblink: http://www.risefestival.org/

No comments:

International Women’s Day is 08th March 2008, and there is no better place to celebrate it then London, England – the most global capital in the world. Read about planned events for this most electric day for women world-wide. And every now and again I will post human rights issues near and dear to my heart.