14 January 2008

Memories of my first Capitalwoman conference

I have traveled to London for many years and for brief periods of time I have lived in the capital, so I have pretty much exhausted the whole tourist experience. And now when I venture across the pond it is to see friends and to attend specific events.

I attended my first CapitalWoman conference in 2004. I found the all day free event given by the Mayor of London’s Office, Ken Livingstone while on one of my numerous internet searches seeking out any and all information on British Women’s and or interfaith events. A link led me to CapitalWoman 2004’s website and there I emailed the Mayor’s Office informing them that I was an American national and Anglophile who would love to attend the event. Receipt of my email was acknowledged a day or two later and within a few weeks my invitation was in my hand via snail mail.

Words simply cannot explain the buzz I felt about attending this event completely unknown to me. Why you might ask? Well as previously mentioned I am an Anglophile, and I am also a feminist and my politics and world view tends to be global in nature……………………………………………………………..So my feeling was attending an event in London (the most global of all the world capitals) for women was a culmination of who and what I am. Please note however that you do not need to be a feminist to feel comfortable at Capitalwoman, as women from all political stripes and dispositions are equally welcomed.

So I was off. I arrived in London on Friday, 05th March 2004 and that day was spent recouping from the flight and preparing for Capitalwoman. That meant laying out a carefully crafted outfit that would literally carry me through the day, packing a camera to have a record of the day forever, taking a large bag to bring back loads of brochures and pamphlets and packing a few healthy snacks.

Before retiring I ran a couple of quick errands to purchase something for lunch and later for dinner. Then I retired to my very modest, but quite functional and safe hotel in Russell Square to call a few friends and watch a little telly. The night of Friday, 05th March 2004 was an early one for me.

I must say I still remember that morning awaking and feeling like I was starting my first day of school. In 2004 I have been crossing the pond for 17 years, but this event I knew would be something different………something special. I quickly ate breakfast, worked out, bathed and dressed. With my arsenal of previously packed items I was off towards the Russell Street Tube station on the Picadilly Line. Capitalwoman 2004 was (as subsequent Capitalwoman’s) held at The Queen Elizabeth II Conference Centre, so that meant taking the Russell Square tube to the Green Park stop and changing to the Jubilee Line and getting off at Westminister.

Now getting to Westminister was an easy task, but as I have the sense of direction of al bat with broken sonar I was concerned as I rode the escalators up from the belly of the Westminster tube station. I could feel my anxiety growing, but just as I was about to sigh aloud I saw a London cop. As I walked towards the officer in a heavy, lovely, robust, British accent he asked,” Looking for Capitalwoman luv?” My smile told him that he was right. He quickly pointed me in the right direction.

At first I assumed that this London cop must have been a psychic, as he answered my question without me ever giving voice to it…………………………………………But my momentary fleet of fancy was dashed when he said that every other woman in Westminster tube station seemed to be heading to Capitalwoman. In any case I was most grateful for his preemptive assistance.

As I quickly made my way across the street and prepared to cross the street I saw two other women looking at the back of what I knew were the Capitalwoman invitations. I struck up a conversation with the two women and quickly found out that the two ladies were old friends indeed heading to what turned out to also be their first Capitalwoman. Though I was not concerned about attending Capitalwoman 2004 on my own it was nice to have others to share the experience with.

Once at The Queen Elizabeth II Conference Centre there was a short wait in line for the doors to open at 9am. Inside we were quickly and very efficiently registered at one of the many registration points based on your surname (last name). With Capitalwoman 2004 packets in hand we headed upstairs for our choice of light refreshments such as coffee, tea, water, and biscuits (cookies).

Shortly after 10am the conference was ready to start. There was audio visual presentation to open the conference then the speakers began. There was Jenny Jones, Deputy Mayor of London, Mary Turner GMB, Polly Toynbee a journalist, Julie Fernandez an actor and Diane Abbott, MP and Britain first black woman MP to name a few. Finally there was a talk by the Mayor of London, Ken Livingstone followed by questions and answers. The speakers are well informed posed and give a view of London that is without comparison.

By 12:30pm we broke for an hour lunch and had our choice of prepared sandwiches and fruit bagged lunches. There were vegan and vegetarian options for those of us so included. During this time you could hear the buzz of 100’s and 100’s of women meeting and greeting each other. People were making new friends and reacquainting with old. The wonderfully healthy and satisfying lunches while most appreciated were the least of our concerns……………………………..we were all networking. The conference presented opportunities for connections in the political, career, health care, economic, inter-faith and realms.

Then there were stalls by the dozens offering information on adoption, careers, higher education, various government agencies, etc, etc, etc…………………………The potential for information overload was there and appreciated.

From 1:30pm – 2:40pm you had your choice of 5 seminar topics that covered such topics as London 2012 (referring to the then preparation for the Olympic bid), the London Childcare strategy, Towards an anti racist London, Open Space, Women’s place, and Delivering London’s domestic Violence strategy. I must admit I jumped between three of the conferences, as I could not settle on one.

There was another refreshment break from 2:45pm – 3pm with a chance to physically refuel and to again network with the diverse crowd of women in attendance.

At 3:05pm another round of seminars began that went to 4:15pm. This time the sessions covered, London transport, safer travel and future initiatives for women, Women in London’s economy, Women and the criminal justice system, Women and work in a global city and The case for a Single Equalities Act. Again I hopped between several seminars.

By 4:15pm the closing comments were started. And shortly before 5:30pm Capitalwoman 2004 was history.

The conference was brilliant. It was well organized and well attended by almost 2,000 women. If you are crossing the pond for International Women’s Day consider registering for Capitalwoman 2008. It promises to be equally if not more edifying than conferences of the past. In addition American iconic, civil rights activist, Angela Davis is an honored speaker. Capitalwoman 2008 is on Saturday, 08th March 2008.

Hope to see you there: http://www.london.gov.uk/capitalwoman/

No comments:

International Women’s Day is 08th March 2008, and there is no better place to celebrate it then London, England – the most global capital in the world. Read about planned events for this most electric day for women world-wide. And every now and again I will post human rights issues near and dear to my heart.