21 May 2008

An addendum to my previous post of: Islam Expo,London and my hijab

I feel I must clarify my previous post, when traveling while Muslim one can expect to have “interesting” and at times “intense” travel experiences when crossing paths with the immigrations officials of the world. And I will say that when declaring the purpose of my trip to British Immigrations they have at times been extremely inquisitive about the Muslim women seminars and events I have crossed the pond to attend on my dime.

My theory is that I will always be honest with British Immigrations about the purpose of my trip and if that means telling them that I have flown 4,000 miles across the Atlantic to attend a 3 hour seminar on the lives of Iraqi, Kurdish and Afghani women than so be it. I have at times gotten looks and the questions have been never ending when standing before the Immigrations official at hand. Still I have never once picked up the personal bias and prejudice of the official I was standing before. In other words they were simply doing their jobs.

It was only in my country of birth, America that I was “detained” in November 2007 before 4 immigration officials (well 3 uniformed immigration officials) the 4th person was a man in a suit taking notes. The experience lasted for 30 minutes and I felt quite mauled when it was over.
In March I was detained again when I returned home, but it was only by one person. In fact it was one of the women who had detained me on my return home in November 2007. I have now grown quite fearful of traveling – and my greatest fear lies in returning home and having to deal with TSA. Still I am alive, so that means I will continue to have wanderlust. With each incursion into my life by the State Department and TSA I grow concerned that I will no longer be able to cross the pond…………………………………………………But I will push on and hope and pray that British Immigration continues their tolerance of my love of London and all the people in it.

May Allah grant all the wisdom to encourage us all to explore the world (in all manner of ways) and learn more about those that we share the planet with……………………………………………..And to the gatekeepers I would ask and hope that they learn and learn and learn and not rely so much on stereotypes and preconceived notions of the “other”.

Allahu akbar (God is the greatest) the world really is an interesting place – flaws and all. Join those of us who wander the globe and learn. It is a painful, challenging, scary but ultimately a beautifully thing. Come alive and learn.

No comments:

International Women’s Day is 08th March 2008, and there is no better place to celebrate it then London, England – the most global capital in the world. Read about planned events for this most electric day for women world-wide. And every now and again I will post human rights issues near and dear to my heart.